Calcium Deficiency Symptoms
Include HBP and Acidic pH

The calcium deficiency symptoms that we are particularly interested in are high blood pressure and an acidic pH balance, although some of the others contribute to a rise in BP too.

The symptoms are:

  • High Blood Pressure
  • Acidic Body pH
  • Muscle Cramps,and Spasms
  • Insomnia
  • Nervousness
  • Osteoarthritis
  • Pain in the Joints
  • Tooth Cavities


I grew up associating calcium deficiency with tooth cavities, brittle bones, and not drinking enough milk, but did not really appreciate that calcium has a major role to play in many systems in the body.

Pregnant women are often warned to be sure to have dental check-ups throughout their pregnancy as it is a known fact that cavities can develop when the growing fetus draws on the mothers calcium reserves. This phenomena adds weight to the argument that a lack of the mineral is linked to hypertension. Let me explain!

You probably know it is the most bountiful of minerals in your body. In fact, about 99% is contained in the bones and teeth. The other 1% is used in combination with other minerals and vitamins to regulate blood pressure, heart beat, blood clotting, to name a few.

But this mineral has also other important uses throughout the organs especially the systems for regulating blood pressure.

It is needed to help muscles contract, including those of our artery walls. It is required for the production of enzymes and hormones that have a part to play in fat metabolism. Can these systems perform normally if a calcium deficiency exists?

Parents should educate their children at an early age and in a simplified way, not only about the importance of nutrition, but how the pairing of nutrients play a vital role in regulating systems around the body, and that education is far removed from the myth taught that you need to drink lots of milk to get enough calcium.

Some mineral combinations that help maintain normal BP levels are –
Calcium and Magnesium – for heartbeat and blood vessel dilation
Sodium and Potassium
Potassium and Calcium with sodium reduction. (figs are recommended by nutritionists as being high in potassium and calcium)

Quite frankly, the general public are getting pretty confused. Beforehand we were informed that drinking more milk or supplementing our intake would help not only to bring blood pressure down but protect us from heart attack. But now, about face, we are told it`s down right dangerous to supplement.

In line with calcium deficiency symptoms, The Optimum Nutrition Bible, by Patrick Holford, founder of The Institute For Optimum Nutrition stated [quote]An excess will interfere with absorption of other minerals, especially if their intake is slightly low. It may lead to calcification of kidneys, heart and other soft tissue…[/unquote]

As with everything in this world, we need to make our own decisions, make an informed choice in the matter.

Is Supplementing the Answer?

The Food and Nutrition Board have set the RDA to
1300mg per day for 14 – 18 years
1000mg per day for 19 – 50 years
1200mg per day for 50+

Are we in need of more?

You may possibly see a re-assessment to these figures in response to the revealing scientific data that linked calcium supplement intake for warding off osteoporosis in the over 50`s age group, to a 30% higher incident of heart attack, and lesser percentages in incidents of stroke and sudden death. Although the trials conducted at the University of Auckland are limited, it has been suggested by the researchers that treatment against osteoporosis using calcium supplements cease, as the trials indicated the problem lay with supplements and not dietary intake. But does it?